The Happn app was founded in 2014 in France, by Didier Rappaport. On its release in the July of that year, the app had around 40,000 users. In just two years, that figure jumped to around 10million.
Today, the Happn dating app boasts around 50million users across more than 50 major cities, and in 40 different countries. Of those, an estimated 100 000 users are from New Zealand alone, with at least 70,000 living in or visiting the country’s capital.
The main difference between the Happn local dating app and traditional dating sites is that Happn is designed for on-the-go encounters. You may have heard it described as a ‘geolocational dating app’ or even as a ‘location-based online mobile dating application’.
In short, this means that the app matches members based on real-life encounters and preferences; it’s the app to make sure that you don’t miss out on any opportunities, whether you spot someone you like in a café, in the supermarket, or even in the street.
With so many members, the Happn app has established itself as one of the most popular dating apps on the market. However, is it designed for the hopeless romantic or those looking for opportunistic encounters? Our in-depth Happn review puts it to the test.
Is the Happn dating app for those who believe that their match might be just around the corner or is it Tinder by another name? Certainly, the app relies on your location and the location of other users to engineer encounters, which makes it a tempting proposition for the casual dater.
It depends on how you use it. With features such as the Heart Button, it seems that the app’s original intent was to take chance encounters and turn them into something more meaningful. In addition, users can only message each other if there’s some mutual ‘’liking’ involved.
On top of that, the profile information you receive is fairly limited, covering the basics such as how old you are, your gender, your education, your location, and what you do for a living. Paid members can edit this information and make it more or less specific.
While there’s undoubtedly an opportunity for the Happn local dating app to be used for casual encounters, the way it’s set up makes it more useful to try and spark something with the barista you like or that person who catches your eye on a shopping trip.
Overall, we like the Happn app. It’s convenient and easy to use and can turn every day into a possible romantic opportunity. With technology playing such an important part in our lives, it’s perfect for on-the-go professionals or those who believe that love is only a footstep away.
🆓 Free services and paid-for services
Happn is free to join and offers plenty to keep newbies going, such as:
- Each time you are near to another Happn app user in ‘real life’, their profile will appear on your timeline. You’ll be shown the number of times you’ve encountered this user, which will give you a good idea if they’re interested in you. If you’re not interested in them, click the ‘Cross’ button and they’ll be removed.
- You can check who you’ve crossed paths with at any time, allowing you to express your interest when’s best for you.
- The Heart Button gives you the chance to let someone know you like them, but they won’t know it’s happened unless they do the same.
- If you want to be noticed, the ‘Charm’ function will alert another Happn app user to your presence.
- Sometimes, you might not want to be on the alert for other users. ‘Invisible Mode’ will mask your presence until you’re ready to engage.
- Locations are approximate rather than specific.
- You can block other users at any time.
- Your profile page uses Facebook Connect to show any friends and interests you might have in common, and to prevent scammers using fake profiles.
- Post status updates to let other users know what you’re up to or what you’re interested in.
However, if you would rather make your online experience a little less direct, subscribing to the Premium package gives you a few important extras:
- You are given 10 ‘Hellos’ per day
- Ads are removed from the app
- You can see a list of people who have ‘liked’ you
- Using Credits, you can request Chat Time with other Happn members
- ‘Mysterious Mode’ allows you to edit your profile and restrict the information that other users can see
- Play ‘CrushTime’ twice as much as free users.
What is CrushTime?
CrushTime is a game that has been incorporated into the Happn app. Working on the idea that finding love can be a bit like playing roulette, you are presented with four users who you have recently been near to.
Of the four, one has already ‘liked’ you and you must work out which one it is. Guess right and you’re given access to instant chat with that user. Guess wrong and there’s nothing lost, as nobody knows but you. You can try again with the remaining profiles.
The only caveat for CrushTime is that you need to have been liked by at least 10 other users before you can play. In addition, the game is sprung on you at random; you can’t choose when you want to play.
How much does it cost to use the Happn local dating app?
The Happn app is free to join. However, if you want to take more control of the opportunities that come your way, then you should consider subscribing to the Premium package. This is charged at a monthly fee, with a few extras charged on top.
One month Premium membership is charged at 24.49 NZD. Buying Credits gives you the option to ‘Say Hi’, send a ‘Charm’, or engage in chat. Credits are charged at four different price-points:
|10 Credits||4.99 NZD|
|60 Credits||18.99 NZD|
|100 Credits||29.99 NZD|
While they might seem like a frippery, using Credits does give you that added edge when it comes to making the most of a potential match.
How to pay?
The Happn app offers four methods for payment. You can pay for subscriptions and Credits via credit card, debit card, PayPal, or via your mobile phone.
💡 How to reduce costs at Happn?
The Happn local dating app is free to join and free membership offers a perfectly serviceable level of operation. However, if you want to maximise on opportunities, then the Premium subscription is the way to go.
If you’re wanting to keep your expenditure down, either stay as a free user, or subscribe but opt for one of the lesser Credit packages.
📊 Membership structure
Intuitive dating for chance encounters
While the app was launched in 2014, it’s at least five years ahead of its time. Millennials and on-the-go professionals will find the ability to make the most of a chance meeting something worth considering. With a 50/50 split between men and women, there are opportunities for everyone.
However, the Happn app isn’t exclusively straight. There are a significant of gay and lesbian users, who find its romantic appeal a refreshing change from the likes of Tinder and Grindr.
Paid users tend to outnumber guests, which can be frustrating for those who haven’t made the leap to full membership. Despite this, the app offers excellent features for both free and paid-up members.
Registering on the Happn app is easy and can be broken down into five, simple steps:
- Go to happn.com
Go to the website’s homepage
- Get the app 😊
Download the app to your mobile or link it to your Facebook page
- Import you data from social media
You can import your profile information from Facebook
- Or … fill in your data
Alternatively, fill in the forms and supply information such as gender and what you’re looking for
- And you are ready to go!
With no verification process to worry about, you’re free to start checking out who’s nearby.
The approval process for the Happn local dating app is instant, so you don’t have to worry about verifying your email.
📱 User-friendliness and the app
The Happn dating app was designed for using when you’re out and about, rather than sat at a desktop PC. As a result, it’s well equipped for day-to-day use, whether you’re enjoying a quiet coffee or strolling along a busy street.
As apps go, it’s very easy to navigate, with all the features displayed clearly and cleanly on your homepage. You can tinker with your profile, interact with other users, or play CrushTime, all without any problem at all.
In addition, there’s the opportunity to earn extra free Credits by inviting friends to join the app. With plenty of scope for personalisation and the ability to engage with other users immediately or at a later time, the Happn dating app is a superb addition to any singleton’s app collection.
✉️ Contacting users
Rather than using the traditional ‘Search’ function, Happn uses your criteria to do the work for you. Matches are shown as you encounter them, and the mutual like service ensures that you only interact with the users that you want to.
Using Premium subscription, you can get around the lack of profile information. As a paid member, you’ll be able to see who has liked your profile and reply, instantly.
👍 Pros and cons 👎
What we like
- You’ll receive matches from people who are in your location
- The app’s core features are free
- You can see matches wherever you go
- Matchmaking continues until the app runs out
- Only matches that meet your criteria will be shown
- ‘Liking’ must be mutual before the conversation can begin
- Helpful information is imported from the user’s Facebook profile
What we don’t like
- Users from low-population areas will struggle to find matches
- Profile information is limited
- There is no ‘Search’ function
- While likes and matches are free, you’ll need to pay for Credits in order to chat
You can only see who’s liked you by subscribing to the Happn Premium package. As a member, likes are displayed on your home page, giving you the options to either respond to a user or delete them.
Using the Happn local dating app is as simple as registering and then enabling it. While you’re out and about, the app will register other users who fit your criteria in your location.
1. While you can upload up to nine photos, choose between four and six. Be sure to select photos that say something about you and your interests, rather than generic or staged pictures.
2. Ask friends to evaluate your profile and pictures.
3. Be sure to highlight the best aspects of your personality and interests on the ‘About Me’ section of your profile. Keep it relevant and honest.
Likes are only seen if the recipient also happens to send a ‘like’. However, you can take the initiative and send a ‘Charm’, which is seen whether the user has liked you or not. View the user’s profile and hit ‘Send Charm’.
There are an estimated 50million users, worldwide. In New Zealand, there are around 100,000 users, approximately 70,000 of which are based in Oakland. With numbers growing daily, there’s always the potential for new encounters.
ℹ️ Company information
8, Rue de Sentier
Email: [email protected]